2012-02-23 Leave a comment
The shack updates:
1. I am considering ordering Ameco K-4 Brass Key AM-K4 – it’s $24.95 at http://www.mtechnologies.com/ameco/keys.htm
It has some good reviews (4.8/5.0 score) at http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3383
I will most likely add a solid heavy thin base to it or simply attach it permanently to the desk.
2. For my Softrock, I am going to build a simple magnetic loop. This place happens to have inexpensive variable air capacitors ($10-20) that I am going to try for this: http://midnightscience.com/catalog5.html#part3
3. My new LDG S9v31 vertical is behaving strangely. The SWR which was close to 1:1 on most of the bands now is 1:1.5 or 1:2 at best. I guess the change of weather changed the electrical qualities of the soil so I may need to try elevated radials. I think I also need to borrow an antenna analyzer to check the actual impedance and resonant frequency before and after the 4:1 unun. Update: it’s back to normal now.
I came across some interesting links related to ham radio:
- lots of proven and handy info from experienced ham in Australia – must read for newbies: http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/vk3ye
- inspirational notes of wisdom: http://radioartisan.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/things-i-wish-i-knew-when-i-was-a-young-radio-artisan/
- remote operation and remote QSO with Softrock/PowerSDR using Skype/RDP over the internet – that was easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCWHgTnzr5Y